16.2.17

BOOK REVIEW: Paris for One and other stories by Jojo Moyes

Nell is twenty-six and has never been to Paris. She's never even been on a romantic weekend away-to-anywhere-before. Travelling abroad isn't really her thing. But when Nell's boyfriend fails to show up, she has the chance to prove to everyone-including herself that she can be independent and intrepid. Alone in Paris, Nell finds a version of herself she never knew existed. In the ten other stories, Jojo Moyes introduces us to a cast of strong, relate-able women in the midst of their everyday lives.

Publisher: Penguin

 I am not usually a big fan of short-story collections but when I saw this one by Jojo Moyes, I couldn't resist. Jojo Moyes is one of my favourite authors and this collection of stories was a real delight to read.
Obviously you can read them in whatever order you like , I started with the title story, Paris for One and it was simply lovely. Nell was supposes to be having a romantic weekend in Paris with her boyfriend but he stood her up at the Eurostar so she is now in Paris alone and totally out of her depth. We follow her as she navigates the city of love; there are plenty of surprises along the way and Jojo Moyes made me fall in love with Paris all over again.
My other favourite story was Crocodile Shoes which was very empowering and witty, plus it also made me rethink my shoe choices!
Due to the nature of the book, we do not get to spend long with the character but they are likeable and believable and the stories are well thought out. I would highly recommend this collection of stories, Moyes strikes the perfect balance between humour and poignancy, it is a lovely book.

Many thanks to Penguin for allowing me to review this book via Netgalley. 

1 comment:

Nadia said...

Dot, I loved this book, too. Paris for One was the best! I loved seeing Nell finally come into her own :) Moyes did such a great job with these short stories - I really enjoyed them all so much. The crocodile shoe one was so great! I love how empowered she felt with those shoes. Fashion does create confidence. Of course it did make me think about my shoe choices as well - converse and havaiana flip flops are not exactly cutting edge are they?

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...