9.2.11

Book Review:Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

The only thing that Avery Hood can recall about the night her parents dies is that she saw silver- deadly silver, moving inhumanly fast. As much as she wants to remember who killed her parents, she can't and there's nothing left to do but try to piece her life back together.
Then Avery meets the new boy at school. Ben is mysterious and beautiful, and Avery feels a connection with him like nothing she's ever experienced. Ben is also a werewolf, but Avery trusts him- at first. Then she sees that sometimes his eyes flash an inhuman silver. And she learns that she's not the only one who can't remember the night her parents died...
This book had me hooked from the very first sentence:
I was covered in blood when the police found me.
Avery Hood was there when her parents were mutilated and murdered but she cannot remember what happened; she does not know who carried out the terrible act.
Avery tries to get on with her life; she is living with her grandmother as her house is still a crime scene. When she returns to school she copes with the stares and whispers but it is the arrival of Ben, the new boy that changes everything. Avery is instantly attracted to him and Ben feels the same way. She discovers that the local legends are true and that werewolves live in the forest where her house was. She knows this because Ben is a werewolf. Avery is very accepting of this but she cannot fail to forget the flash of silver that she saw on the night of her parent's murder, the same silver that she glimpses in Ben's eyes. He does not remember the night either, could he unknowingly be the one who has torn her whole world apart?
Ivy Devlin has written a beautiful love story which will be enjoyed by many a young adult reader. Low Red Moon is also a very convincing murder mystery with these paranormal elements thrown in to the mix.
As I said, the author grabbed me with the first line and simply didn't let go. I felt as though I was aware of something lurking in the woods just waiting to pounce on Avery as it had her parents. The book has a great twist at the end which I had not seen coming at all.

Many thanks to Bloomsbury for sending me a copy of Low Red Moon to review, it was published on February 7th. 

3 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

Wow, sounds very intriguing and haunting.

serendipity_viv said...

That first line would have had me hooked too. This sounds fantastic!

Dot said...

Irena- I thought it was a really good story, I have read quite a few young adult paranormal books recently but this had a slightly different feel to it.

Vivienne- I loved the first line, there's no way you wouldn't read on after that!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...