17.2.11

Book Review: To the Moon and Back by Jill Mansell

When Ellie Kendall loses her husband Jamie in an accident she feels her world has come to an end. But life has to go on and eventually she's ready for a new start- at work, that is. She definitely doesn't need a new man, not while she has a certain secret visitor to keep her company...
Entrepreneur Zack McLaren seems to have it all, but the girl he can't stop thinking about won't give him a second glance. Why can't she pay him the kind of attention she lavishes on Elmo, his time share dog?
Having moved  to an exclusive flat in North London, Ellie becomes friendly with neighbour Roo who's harbouring a secret of her own. Between them, can both girls sort out their lives? Guilt is a powerful emotion, but a lot can happen in a year in Primrose Hill...
Okay, prepare yourselves for a completely gushing review as I LOVED this book! I have read and enjoyed a fair few of Jill Mansell's other books but this one is without doubt my favourite.
Ellie is a great character, she is trying to hold everything together after Jamie's tragic death but she clearly needs a bit of help. Cue Tony Weston, Jamie's dad, who loves Ellie very much and wants her to be happy again more than anything. When he discovers that the flat that she and Jamie shared is in a right mess, he buys a flat in Primrose Hill for Ellie to live in with the excuse that he can use it when he's visiting from LA, where he's a famous actor.
The new flat is the catalyst that Ellie needs, she makes friends with her neighbour Roo who encourages Ellie to make the changes to her life that she so desperately needs to do. The most important one for Ellie is to leave her job where she is tired of receiving pitying glances and the feeling that people are treading on egg shells around her. Roo discovers that Zack McLaren is in need of a new PA and helps Ellie to get an interview. Zack is gorgeous and extremely successful and his old PA makes it clear to Ellie that he normally employs older women as he doesn't want any distractions in the work place. Ellie is very careful not to over step the mark, she even tells Zack that she has a boyfriend when she doesn't just so he doesn't think she's after him. However, as Zack and Ellie spend more time together it is clear that there is a huge connection between them but Zack believes she has a boyfriend and Ellie doesn't want to make things awkward at work plus what would Jamie think about her falling in love with another man?
To the Moon and Back is a brilliant read, the chapters are short and snappy, each one leaving you wanting more. I read this book in one day and I was left with a huge crush on Zack Mclaren. As usual, Jill Mansell provides a really good story with some lovely and believable characters. The plot keeps a steady pace and I was willing Ellie to find the happiness that I felt she deserved.

Many thanks to Headline for sending me a copy of this book to review, To the Moon and Back is published today!

8 comments:

nicolahulks said...

Thanks for the review, I've been fancing reading a good chic lit book recently so I'll pick up a copy! x

Dot said...

Nicolahulks- You should give this one a go, really good story and characters!

Carol said...

I love Jill Mansell's books.

I am looking forward to this one.

I have a birthday coming up and family know to buy me book tokens. :)

carol

Dot said...

Carol- Think you will enjoy it! Hoe you gets lots of book tokens ;0)

Goddess of Blah Book Reviews said...

I find Jill Mansell's books far too "chick lit-ish", very fluffy -

mediocre female protagonist

well off (generally), tall dark and handsome hero

usually a blond ex boyfriend who's a sh*it

and the protagonist generally starts off hating the hero, but then suddenly they fall madly in love...

Goddess of Blah Book Reviews said...

thsi is even worse - how can anyone do the whole PA and Boss thing in this daya nd age?!!!

I thought that only happened in 1950s Mills & Boons!

Dot said...

Goddess of Blah Book Reviews- Well I personally love Jill Mansell's books but each to their own. Plus I do have a bit of a soft spot for PA/Boss relationships as that is how my parents-in-law met so I wouldn't have my lovely husband if these things didn't happen in real life!

Goddess of Blah Book Reviews said...

Hi Dot - but your inlaws most likely met when that was the norm, women were mostly PA's. Now its not so uncommon for the woman to be the boss.

This is modern times - its sexist to hire a woman based on her looks (or lack thereof) - also that's a reflection / assumption that any colleague who's female is a PA/ admin staff only - which I hope in modern UK that is NOT the case.

Anyway, its no big deal. Plus Jill belongs to that generation so its only natural for her to write like that I suppose.

I prefer reading hip modern stuff by young people like Gemma Burgess (career women with attitude). But like you said each to their own.

Take care!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...