11.7.17

BOOK REVIEW: The Summer House by the Sea by Jenny Oliver

Nestled on the Spanish coast, bustling cafe Estrella features in everyone of Ava Brown's happiest memories- her first chocolate churros, her first crush, endless summer sunshine. So the chance to spend one last summer in her grandmother's house, is one Ava can't refuse.
Once the heart of the sleepy seaside village, the cafe now feels more ramshackle than rustic. It's time to bring back some life into Cafe Estrella- and before she knows it, Ava has thrown herself into that task. A summer project her grandmother would be proud of!
But once summer is over, can Ava really say goodbye to Spanish seaside life? Or could this be the new beginning that Ava didn't realise she needed...

Publisher: HQ
Pages: 378

The Summer House by the Sea is the first book I have read by Jenny Oliver and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 
Ava Brown returns to the Spanish coast after the death of her grandmother. Planning to merely pack up her grandmother's house and come back, Ava is shocked to discover just how many memories it holds. Especially Cafe Estrella, run by family friend Flora. It has definitely seen better times and it soon turns into Ava's summer project, suddenly, going back home doesn't seem as inviting.
This is the first book I have read this year that has truly made me want to pack my bags and go on holiday. Jenny Oliver perfectly captures the holiday atmosphere in her story; the sunshine, the sea, the Mediterranean food and a more carefree attitude. 
I liked Ava's character, she is carrying a lot of baggage around from her childhood and we learn about the fraught relationship she had with her mother throughout the book. All of the characters in the book are trying to make better decisions for their futures rather than repeating mistakes from their pasts. This added a very interesting element to the story and it was satisfying to see all the characters come together to help each other out. 
This book would be a great holiday read, I very much relaxed whilst reading this and I wouldn't hesitate to read more by this author. 

Many thanks to HQ for sending me a copy of this book to review.  

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...