4.10.13

Book Review: The Shining Girls By Lauren Beukes

The Girl Who Wouldn't Die. Kirby is lucky she survived the attack. She is sure there are other victims less fortunate, but the evidence she finds is...impossible. Hunting a serial killer who shouldn't exist.
Harper stalks his shining girls through the years- and cuts the spark out of them. But what if the one that got away came back for him?
I completely loved this book even though it terrified me! Kirby survives a horrific attack as a teenager; she is lucky to be alive but she cannot settle until she has found the man who intended to end her life in a viscous and carefully planned manner.
Harper is a serial killer, he's not particularly smart but his sole focus is to kill the shining girls as he calls them. He takes something from each victim and leaves it with another of his prey.
Kirby begins to investigate but the evidence is baffling. It appears that Harper has been killing women for more than 60 years, but how would be do
that? How would an older man be inflicting such physical violence acts on people much younger than him?
The Shining Girls kept me away at night; Harper is one of the scariest characters that I have ever come across. He is just relentless, there are no discerning features to him, he is pure evil.
This book has split opinion and I think that it mainly due to some of its fantastical elements. These made the book for me. Lauren Beukes delivers a completely original type of psychological thriller of which I am sure there will be many poor imitations.
The Shining Girls is gripping, terrifying and thought-provoking. It is definitely not one to read late at night but it is also not be to missed.

Dot Scribbles Rating: 5/5
Publisher: Harper
Pages: 416

4 comments:

Em Steers said...

Loved this book review! Will be reading this one soon :)

Dot said...

Tink- It's really good, just don't read it late at night!

jessicabookworm said...

I love the concept of this book, but if I do read note to self not to read it late at night :-)

Loraine Branan said...

I don't read at night anyway as my mind wanders to much then I can't go to sleep at all! SO I can get into this one. This genre is my favorite, I recommend To Sleep...Perchance to Die by Don Grippo, www.dongrippo.com. It will give you a reason to think twice about surgery that is for sure!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...