5.1.09

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer


Eclipse is the third book in the Twilight saga by Stephenie Meyer. Bella and Edward are back together after their confrontation with the Volturi and are trying to have a reasonably normal relationship. Eclipse sees the character's laying out their wishes for the future; Bella wants to become a vampire as soon as possible and Edward wants them to marry before this takes place. As in the previous two books, Bella and Edward's relationship is extremely intense and I know that this irritates some readers but I think it is probably what I enjoy most about the books. Due to Edward being over 100 years old, it is quite an old-fashioned romance and it is interesting to see how he and Bella try to compromise on what they think are the correct values to live by.
This book also explores Bella's relationship with Jacob Black. She gradually realises that she does love him but it still does not compare to her love for Edward. I think that the character of Jacob serves to highlight all that she is willing to give up. Yes, he is a werewolf but she could still have a reasonably normal future with him. By choosing Edward she would literally be giving up her life, her family and everything she has ever known apart from him.
Eclipse also sees the return of Victoria who is pursuing Bella in order to avenge the killing of her mate James. Victoria has created an army of reckless, new-born vampires who she has rampaging and murdering their way through Seattle before setting off for Forks. The danger that Bella is in leads the werewolves and the Cullens to put their hatred aside and work together in order to bring Victoria down.
I did enjoy this book; I personally found some of the parts about the werewolve's history quite boring but I do understand why it was included. I felt that this book was really important in developing Edward and Bella's relationship and putting things in place for the future. Meyer has created amazing charcaters in her saga and I think this is what draws me into the story and makes me want to read the next book.

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...