8.1.09

Booking Through Thursday: The Best?

Ah it's my first Booking Through Thursday of 2009- Happy New Year everyone!!

It’s a week or two later than you’d expect, and it may be almost a trite question, but … what were your favorite books from 2008?

Well I had a good think about this and there were 4 books that really stood out for me in 2008. I am in no way saying that these are the best 4 books ever written but they are the ones that brought me the most enjoyment, see what you think:

  1. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini- I had really put off reading this because there was so much hype surrounding it and I was worried that I would be disappointed. However, I think it is one of the best books that I have ever read! For quite a short book there is so much in there; Hosseini is such a wonderful story teller and this book stays with you for a long time after you have turned the last page.
  2. 31 Dream Street by Lisa Jewell- I loved this, it is chick lit really but Jewell has this brilliant way of drawing you straight in. I read this book in one night and everyone who has borrowed it has said that they couldn't put it down either.
  3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte- I cannot believe that it took me until 2008 to read this book. I will undoubtedly read this again and again and get something new from it each time. The character of Jane is so complex however plain and simple she appears to the outside world. Mr Rochester is a brilliant creation and the love he has for Jane survives against all odds.
  4. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer- I was put off reading this as I thought I was perhaps too old but I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I think it is actually my favourite book of 2008. I get totally drawn in by a good old love story and this is exactly what this book is about. Yes there are vampires and werewolves and it is all very unrealistic but at the end of the day that is what fiction is all about. Many people have knocked Meyer's writing and no it is not the best, however she is totally character driven and I love that. So much work has gone into creating her characters that the reader can completely believe in them and that is what kept me turning the pages!

6 comments:

Beth F said...

Jane Eyre!! A huge favorite of many of us! It's great to know that the book still holds up.

Kathy W said...

I enjoyed the twilight series also. I have not read The Kite Runner yet. I enjoyed his book A Thousand Splendid suns though. Hope you have a great day.

gautami tripathy said...

Jane Eyre is one of my favourite read of all times. And so is The Kite Runner..

2008 Top reads

2008 review post

Anonymous said...

I might eventually give Twilight a glance but I have heard so many mixed reviews on the book, so I'd have to read it and see for myself!
www.thesocialfrog.com

Sandra said...

I'm with you on The Kite Runner. I am going to read Jane Eyre this year for the 18th and 19th century woman writers' reading challenge.
My BTT is up.

Melody said...

Great list! I need to read Jane Eyre soon!!!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...