23.3.20

BOOK REVIEW: Jog On, How Running Saved my Life

Divorced and struggling with deep-rooted mental health problems, Bella Mackie ended her twenties in tears. She could barely find the strength to get off the sofa, let alone piece her life back together. Until one day she did something she had never done of her own free will – she pulled on a pair of trainers and went for a run.

That first attempt didn’t last very long. But to her surprise, she was back out there the next day. And the day after that. She began to set herself achievable goals – to run 5k in under 30 minutes, to walk to work every day for a week, to attempt 10 push-ups in a row. Before she knew it, her mood was lifting for the first time in years.

In Jog On, Bella explains with hilarious and unfiltered honesty how she used running to battle crippling anxiety and depression, without having to sacrifice her main loves: booze, cigarettes and ice cream. With the help of a supporting cast of doctors, psychologists, sportspeople and friends, she shares a wealth of inspirational stories, research and tips that show how exercise often can be the best medicine. This funny, moving and motivational book will encourage you to say ‘jog on’ to your problems and get your life back on track – no matter how small those first steps may be. 
Publisher: William Collins
Pages: 288
I began running in 2019 by starting the Couch to 5k programme, I started due to family health issues that I was concerned about and thought that it was about time I did some regular exercise. I was about half way through Couch to 5k when my anxiety very much got the better of me. It was terrifying. I struggled to function and it was my family, friends and medication that got me through it. Also running played a big part, it became something that I could really focus on and control whereas everything else felt far out of reach. I completed the Couch to 5k with a huge sense of achievement and now I try to run three days a week. It has a huge effect on my mental health and this is what Bella Mackies discusses in Jog On. 
Mackie hit rock bottom when her first marriage ended, she had always suffered from anxiety but it intensified and she was truly struggling. One evening she put her trainers on and ran for three minutes in the alleyway behind her house and this is what started her running journey. Now she runs most days and she fully believes this is what has helped her live with her anxiety. The book is searingly honest, it is the first book I have read about anxiety and depression where I actually felt like I could identify with the writer’s exact emotions and experiences. Mackie does not hold back or sugar coat it, she describes her darkest moments and how she can trace them back to her younger years. It really opened up my eyes to anxiety and how I had probably been masking it for a long time before my body had just finally had enough and forced me to confront it. 
Mackie’s research is impeccable and insightful. She has spoken to a whole variety of people about their mental health and how they have used exercise to deal with it day to day. This book is about running but I would also urge you to read it even if you never intend to lace up your trainers and get out there. It is about mental health and how it affects so many; it is about learning to cope with it so that you can still have a life and achieve what you want to. 
This is a book that I know I will return to again and again, it offers hope and inspiration, Mackie’s voice is loud and clear on a subject that is still brushed under the carpet by many. 

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...