1.5.19

BOOK REVIEW: Blood Orange by Harriet Tyce

JUST ONE MORE NIGHT.
THEN I'll END IT.
Alison has it all: loving husband, daughter, and a career on the rise- she's about to defend her first murder case. Why is she risking everything for someone who treats her with no respect?
I DID IT. I KILLED HIM.
Alison's client stabbed her husband; she wants to plead guilty. And yet something about her story feels off...
I'M WATCHING YOU. I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.
Someone knows Alison's secret. Some who wants to make her pay for what she's done, and who won't stop until she's lost everything...

Publisher: Wildfire
Pages: 326

Blood Orange has been described as dark, domestic noir and I think that is very apt. Harriet Tyce's debut is a dark, psychological thriller that is extremely difficult to put down.
Alison is a criminal defence barrister, about to defend her first murder case. Her husband Carl is a psychotherapist and together they have a beautiful daughter, Matilda. But there are so many cracks in Alison's life, things are starting to fall apart. She has been having an affair with a colleague, his treatment of her is awful but she's almost addicted to him. However, it becomes apparent that somebody knows what she has been up to and they are ready to share Alison's dirty little secret.
Blood Orange really is a fantastic debut and Tyce's legal experience makes the book very realistic. I found Alison's role as a barrister fascinating, the way she builds her case in order to protect her client is mirrored by the chaos going on in her private life.
Overall, I felt that the pace was good but there were a few chapters in the middle that felt a little drawn out. I knew there was a big twist from reading other people's reviews so I was expecting it. However, I had not worked out exactly what the twist would be and I have to say it is is very good one. It was a very satisfying moment when everything came together, Harriet Tyce ties it all up expertly.
I can highly recommend Blood Orange, it is dark, thrilling and tense. I hope that Tyce is already working on the next one!

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...