7.4.19

BOOK REVIEW: The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

'I love him so totally, completely, sometimes it threatens to overwhelm me. Sometimes I think... No.  I won't write about that.'
ALICIA
Alicia Berenson writes in her diary as a release, an outlet- and to prove to her beloved husband that everything is fine. She can't bear the thought of worrying Gabriel, or causing him pain.
Until late one evening, Alicia shoots Gabriel five times and then never speaks another word.
THEO
Forensic psychotherapist Theo Faber is convinced he can successfully treat Alicia, where all the others have failed. Obsessed with investigating her crime, his discoveries suggest Alicia's silence goes far deeper than he first thought.
And if she speaks, would he want to hear the truth?

Publisher: Orion
Pages: 341

There has been so much hype about The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides and now that I've finished it, I can completely understand why.
I would describe this book as a psychological thriller, it has something a little more than your average crime drama and I believe that it why it is having such a large impact.
Alicia Berenson is a well known artist but she is most notorious for murdering her husband Gabriel. One evening, she shoots him five times in the face with his own gun and since then she has not uttered a word.
Theo Faber is a forensic psychotherapist:
'I'm forty-two years old. And I became a psychotherapist because I was fucked up. That's the truth- though it's not what I said during the job interview, when the question was put to me.'
We know from the outset that Theo has his own issues. These become more apparent as he takes a job at The Grove which is the psychiatric unit when Alicia is being held. He is determined to make her speak and in order to do so he is prepared to break the rules  and test the limits of the patient and therapist relationship.
The characterisation is fantastic, both Theo and Alicia are highly unpredictable. You become quite comfortable with them and then they will do something to shock you again and again. The book is told entirely from Theo's perspective which is a great device as it makes Alicia even more unreadable plus you are always wondering how reliable Theo is as a narrator.
The plot and pace of the book are both excellent and it has a cinematic feel that lends itself to this genre. The Silent Patient is Alex Michaelides first novel but he has written two successful films. This eye for detail is obvious and his descriptions are clear and well thought out. I was easily able to imagine characters and their surroundings. The descriptions of Alicia's art work were particularly vivid.
Obviously there is a murder at the centre of this book but it is not a faceless who dunnit. The author takes a close look at love in its many guises. Romantic love and family relationships play a big role within the story. We learn a huge amount about Alicia and Theo's pasts as we have Theo's narrative and Alicia's diary. For both of them, their relationships have shaped who they are and how they behave. Michaelides shows the damage and power that love can yield, particularly if withheld or unrequited.
From reading other people's reviews I knew to expect several twists within the plot. Some I worked out and others surprised me yet for all of them it was great to witness how the author had led up to them throughout the story.
The Silent Patient is one of the most original thrillers that I have read in a while. If you are a fan of this genre then don't hesitate but be warned that you won't be able to stop turning the pages.

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...