21.1.19

BOOK REVIEW: I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes

A young woman murdered in a run-down Manhattan hotel.
A father publicly beheaded in the blistering sun of Saudi Arabia.
A man's eyes stolen from his living body as he leaves a secret Syrian research laboratory.
Smouldering human remains on a mountainside in the Hindu Kush.
A plot to commit an appalling crime against humanity.
One thread that binds them all.
One man to take the journey.
Pilgrim.

Publisher: Corgi
Pages: 892

I Am Pilgrim was chosen by my book group, I had heard positive things but it is not my usual type of book so I didn't know what to expect. At 892 pages, it is pretty long but in my opinion it is fantastic. The pace is relentless, each chapter is a good size but you do not want to stop reading. The book is split into four parts, each one dealing with a different part of Pilgrim's journey.
Pilgrim has many names and he's lived many lives and even though this book is long, I felt that we barely scratched the surface as to who he really is
. Part of a super elite division of the intelligence service, Pilgrim's whole life has been dedicated to duty and serving his country. There are moments where a he talks of the life he would have liked with a wife and possibly children but ultimately he knows that the decisions he has made will always prevent that.
It is difficult to review the book without giving the plot away. Ultimately, Pilgrim is chasing a man known as the Saracen who poses a catastrophic threat to America and the wider world. He is terrifying, a new breed of terrorist; educated, cunning and highly radicalised. Terry Hayes is obviously writing from an American perspective but I was impressed by how he showed the events that led up to the Saracen's chosen path. He is not trying to make excuses but he is trying to understand the reasons why and in reality I think it is the best way of tackling these issues. It is a cat and mouse chase across many destinations, corruption, crime and coercion are rife and Pilgrim knows that ultimately he can only trust and rely on himself.
I Am Pilgrim is a fantastic book to immerse yourself in, Terry Hayes himself described it as an epic read. Don't let it's length put you off, I have read it on just under a week and I was not bored at any point. My only criticism is that there does not seem to be any positive roles for women within the book. I understand that the intelligence service is still very male dominated but it did seem strange that women were not represented. The majority of females within the book, even in a position of power were either corrupt or being manipulated by men. The others were weak characters or just downright unpleasant. I hadn't realised until I was thinking about the book afterwards and I still thoroughly enjoyed it.
I Am Pilgrim is a real adventure but terrifying as you can easily see that the events could actually happen. It is a book that I know I will read again in the future, Terry Hayes' writing is assured, entertaining and highly realistic.

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...