1.10.18

BOOK REVIEW: Together by Julie Cohen

Robbie and Emily have been together for years, but their love is still fresh and fierce. They have shared a bed, a home, a bond so deep it can't be broken. But there are things they don't share, things best left unsaid.
On a morning like any other, Robbie wakes, dresses, writes Emily a letter and leaves their home for good. There is a secret they've been keeping since the day they met. The sacrifices and choices that have sealed their fates could be exposed, and this is the only way to keep it all hidden. 

Publisher: Orion
Pages: 341

Wow, Together is the most unexpected love story I have ever read! Julie Cohen is so masterful with emotions in this book, and the suspense and mystery she creates is something else!
Robbie and Emily me and fell in love immediately and they have made a life for themselves with children of their own and even grandchildren too. But as Robbie's ageing mind begins to falter they are both suddenly very scared that he may accidentally reveal the secret they have always managed to keep. Robbie will do anything to protect Emily and their family, he knows that were they to reveal the truth then they would lose everything they love and hold dear and he won't allow that to happen.
Julie Cohen managed this beautiful story so well, she goes back and forth between the present day and the past and we discover how Robbie and Emily met and the huge sacrifices they made out of love for each other.
When Cohen revealed Robbie and Emily's secret, it was not what I had expected at all and I was so impressed by how it all suddenly made sense. I could think back on how she had dropped hints whilst building the plot up, it is so well done.
Together by Julie Cohen is quite the twist on the traditional love story but it is superb. I was so invested in Robbie and Emily by the end that I felt quite bereft to leave them behind on the final page. I can easily agree with other book bloggers that Together would be an excellent book club choice and there is so much to talk about and questions to raise.
This book will stay with me for a long time, make sure that you read it!!

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...