24.10.18

BOOK REVIEW: The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed...
On an autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman arrives at a grand house in Amsterdam to begin her new life as the wife of wealthy merchant Johannes Brandt. Though curiously distant, he presents her with an extraordinary wedding gift: a cabinet-sized replica of their home. It is to be furnished by an elusive miniaturist, whose tiny creations ring eerily true.
As Nella uncovers the secrets of her new household she realises the escalating dangers they face. The miniaturist seems to hold their fate in her hands- but does she plan to save or destroy them? 

Publisher: Picador
Pages: 432

I had already read and enjoyed Jessie Burton's second book, The Muse before this but I think The Miniaturist is definitely my favourite- I haven't wanted it to end.
Nella Oortman begins a new life in Amsterdam, she is only eighteen and her family have married her to a successful and wealthy merchant called Johannes Brandt. Nell enters his grand house full of apprehension and naivety and is surprised when her new husband presents her with an ornate wedding gift; an exact replica of their home. Nella sets about furnishing the house by employing a miniaturist but she soon becomes disturbed when the miniaturist begins sending her items that Nella did not request or items with personal details that they could not possibly know about. Nella tries to contact the miniaturist but has no luck, she wants to know if these items are a warning, a prediction of Nella's future?
The Miniaturist is beautifully written by Jessie Burton, her attention to detail is just exquisite. The book is rich in imagery which makes it so much easier for the reader to picture the characters and surroundings.
I loved the mystery surrounding the miniaturist and the objects she sends to Nella. However, my favourite part of the book was Nella herself. She has to face so much during the story and it is wonderful to watch her change from a naive young girl to a woman who has to take charge of the whole household.
Jessie Burton explored so much more than I expected within this book, feminism, race, sexuality, class, loyalty and prejudice. There were so many different areas being examined yet Burton tied it all together effortlessly.
I know I am super late to the party but if you've not read The Miniaturist yet then I can highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Nadia said...

This book sounds so good! I'd seen it around, but wasn't too sure about it. Then I saw that PBS had made a movie/show of the book, which looked amazing. So, now I have to read it. Your review definitely confirms that fact. Thanks, Dot :)

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...