23.2.18

BOOK REVIEW: Tin Man by Sarah Winman


It begins with a painting won in a raffle: fifteen sunflowers, hung on the wall by a woman who believes that men and boys are capable of beautiful things.
And there are two boys, Ellis and Michael, who are inseparable. And the boys become men, and then Annie walks into their lives, and it changes nothing and everything.
Tin Man sees Sarah Winman follow the acclaimed When God Was a Rabbit and A Year of Marvellous Ways with a love letter to human kindness, and friendship, loss and living.

Publisher: Tinder Press
Pages: 195

I was a big fan of Sarah Winman’s first book, When God Was a Rabbit, I have somehow missed her second which I need to catch up on but it has been impossible to miss Tin Man as everyone is talking about it and it does have that beautifully distinctive yellow cover.
Tin Man is about Ellis and Michael, they meet as teenagers and this book charts their relationship; the times where they were nearly the same person and the times where they couldn’t be further apart.
I don’t want to give the plot away so this review will be short but I urge you to read this book. Sarah Winman writes beautifully about love and loss; grief in it’s different forms and the true power of love and acceptance. Winman’s descriptions are simple but vivid, I feel she uses language sparingly but this is incredibly powerful.  I felt like there were no wasted words if that makes any sense!
Michael and Ellis are two characters what will stay with me for a long time; their relationship is moving and poignant, this is a book that will truly move you and make you think.



No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...