27.4.16

BOOK REVIEW: Making It Up As I Go Along by Marian Keyes

Welcome to the magnificent Making It Up As I Go Along by Marian Keyes- A bold, brilliant book bursting with Marian's hilarious and heartfelt observations on modern life, love and much, much more else besides. Such as? You are determined to ask. Well, how about her guide to breaking up with your hairdresser? Or the warning she has for us all after a particularly traumatic fling with fake tan. There's the pure and bounteous joy of the nail varnish museum. Not to mention the very best lies to tell if you find yourself on an Arctic cruise. She has words of advice for those fast approaching fifty. And she's here to tell you the secret truth about writers- well this one anyway.
You'll be wincing in recognition and scratching your head in incredulity, but like Marian herself you won't be able to stop laughing at the sheer delightful absurdity that is modern life- because each and every one of us is clearly making it up as we go along.

Publisher: Michael Joseph

I cannot fully convey my excitement when I saw that Marian Keyes had a new book out. I have read every single book by this fabulous author and I think that Making It Up As I Go Along is going to make her readers very happy.
The book is a collection of articles written by Marian, some have already been published but others have never been in print before. It is perfect to dip in and out of if you wish or devour entirely. I find Marian's writing so friendly and inviting; it is as though she is sitting across the table from you, having a chat.
There were so many moments when I thought 'I'm so glad it's not just me that has happened to' and that is what Marian does best, her honesty is endearing it makes you want to keep turning the pages.
Serious topics are also covered such as Marian's depression and addictive personality, it's so refreshing to have someone just tell it like it is rather than using fancy jargon or trying to paint the best picture.
This is not  a long review as in reality all I can tell you is that this book is simply wonderful, Making It Up As I Go Along is a breath of fresh air and a book that I will revisit again and again!

Many thanks to Michael Joseph for allowing me to review this book via Netgalley.

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...