18.9.14

BOOK REVIEW: Bonkers, My Life in Laughs by Jennifer Saunders

She's been in two of the most popular double acts in TV history. As the Saunders out of French and Saunders, she gave the world one of its longest-lasting, most loved comedy partnerships. And in Ab Fab's Eddie and Patsy she created two hilarious monsters we've taken to our hearts.
Bonkers is the story of how it all came about. Or at least the bits she recalls. The rest she made up. Either way, it's all here; the stories, the characters, Dawn, Joanna and, playing herself throughout, Jennifer. 

Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 279

I adored this book from start to finish. I'm not usually a big fan of autobiographies but I didn't want this one to end. I felt like I had met Jennifer Saunders for a glass of wine and a chat.
I am a big fan of French and Saunders and Absolutely Fabulous ad this book showcases how naturally funny and talented Jennifer Saunders is. I loved learning about how these shows came about and were developed over many years.
I was also quite shocked to discover that Jennifer Saunders is actually very shy but she is most comfortable when performing in front of a large audience.
Bonkers covers Jennifer's childhood, training, TV success, marriage, breast cancer, becoming a mother, dealing with the ups and downs of fame plus the odd rant or two.
It's beautifully honest and poignant whilst also being brilliantly funny. If you are a fan of this lovely lady then I would definitely give it a read.


3 comments:

Nadia said...

I just love Jennifer Saunders, so I'm glad you read this book. Sounds like it is the perfect read for her fans :) I'm definitely adding this one to my TBR. I don't normally read memoirs by celebrities, but since its Saunders I think I should give hers a go.

jessicabookworm said...

I love French and Saunders and Absolutely Fabulous! This sounds like a really fun read. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for a copy.

Dot said...

Nadia- I'm not usually a big fan of memoirs but this was really good and very funny!

Jessicabookworm- it's definitely worth a read! xx

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...