20.11.13

Book Review: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Aged thirteen, Theo Decker, son of a devoted mother and a reckless, largely absent father, survives an accident that otherwise tears his life apart. Alone and rudderless in New York, he is taken in by the family of a wealthy friend. He is tormented by an unbearable longing for his mother, and down the years, clings to the thing that most reminds him of her: a small, strangely captivating painting that ultimately draws him into the criminal underworld. As he grows up, Theo learns to glide between the drawing rooms of the rich and the dusty antique store where he works. He is alienated and in love- and his talisman, the painting places him at the centre of a narrowing and ever more dangerous circle. 
This book was amazing. Donna Tartt's first book, The Secret History is one of my favourites but I didn't even finish her second, The Little Friend. However, she is an author that will always interest me and I know that The Goldfinch will stay with me forever.
At just under 800 pages, The Goldfinch is rather a challenging prospect. But at no point was I bored or waiting for something to happen. Donna Tartt fills every page with beautiful prose and mesmerising detail.
The story feels almost Dickensian, the characters are so well formed and intriguing. The story spans many years, with characters disappearing and popping up when you least expect them to.
I'm not going to say anymore as I don't want to give the plot away. Just read it, The Goldfinch is one of the most remarkable books that I have ever read.

Dot Scribbles Rating: 5/5
Publisher: Little Brown
Pages: 784

5 comments:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

This book seems to be everywhere at the moment and it certainly sounds good. But 800 pages? Wow.

Kim said...

That sounds like quite an epic! Will definitely put The Goldfinch on my list. Thanks, Dot!

Nadia said...

Dot, I've yet to read a book by Tartt, but that has got to change. This book sounds excellent! Great post ;)

Dot said...

I think that all you lovely ladies would enjoy this book!

Brona said...

I've been hearing some ambivalent reviews of this book, but have got about a fifth of the way in and I'm loving it so far.

The scenes of destruction early on and the chapter on grief were incredible.

Thanks for the positive review :-)

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...