18.2.13

Book Review: The Love Child by Amanda Brookfield

When Janine and Dougie fell in love they thought it would be forever. Fifteen years later their relationship is well and truly over, with their daughter Stevie the one remaining connection, Stevie is on the cusp of adulthood and sixteen is a dangerous age. But it's only during a birthday celebration in Spain, when Stevie gets too close to one of Dougie's best friends, that her parents realise just how dangerous.
Friendships are shattered and trusts are betrayed.Janine and Dougie are brought together in this time of crisis, but can a relationship with so many complications ever stand a chance?
The Love Child is the first book that I have ever read by Amanda Brookfield and I thought it was really interesting. It is very much an exploration of love, friendship and innocence. Dougie is tested in all three areas during the book, his relationships are tested to their very limits and it is unclear which will survive. When his sixteen-year-old daughter has an encounter with his bestfriend, his world is turned upside down. Can you ever forgive a friend for something like that? Stevie is his only child but is she completely innocent in all of this?
The Love Child gave me a lot to think about, I have a daughter and I don't know how I would handle the situation if she were to behave as Stevie did. When do you stop protecting them or excusing their behaviour because in your eyes they are still a child?
Dougie is an interesting central character; he has many faults and these seem to get in the way. In the beginning he seems to have no confidence as he has failed in the past but he has to realise that he can't keep apologising for his mistakes, he just needs to show people how much he has changed.
There were times at the beginning of the book where I found some of the characters a little stilted, I think this was because I couldn't really work out where they fitted in; however, Amanda Brookfield gradually draws everything together for the reader. The Love Child is an extremely thought-provoking read and I shall look out for other books by this author.

Dot Scribbles Rating: 4/5

Many thanks to Penguin for sending me a copy of the book to review, The Love Child is out now. You can also follow Amanda on Twitter where she is @ABrookfield1

2 comments:

Massage In Natic said...

This is very great article..

Unknown said...

ideological revolution, a mirror, Adger True mother of bride dresses Story "ideological significance and artistic value, also located in the anti-feudal ideological revolution. Lu Xun's novels include "Adger True Story" for social and political revolution really no direct performance, it is only from the ideological revolution in the mirror "refraction" out of it? Was this intense debate, look back today I think this

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...