4.12.12

Book Review: Meet Me Under the Mistletoe by Abby Clements

Childhood friends Laurie and Rachel used to be inseparable. Now thirty-five, they have all but fallen out of touch; glamorous single girl Laurie is based in London and dedicated to her career in fashion; Rachel seemingly living the family idyll in Yorkshire.
But when Rachel's mother-in-law needs urgent treatment in London, and disasters at work and in her love life mean Laurie needs to flee, a house swap falls into place. Soon, gentle Rachel is braving the city's mean streets while trying to keep her marriage and family together, while Laurie attempts to befriend the wary village locals - and forget the man who seems intent on breaking her heart.
WIll their relationship survive this test? And will they make it home for Christmas?
Meet Me Under the Mistletoe is a truly lovely book and the first written by Abby Clements. the front cover is extremely pretty and so this book would make a lovely Christmas gift.
Abby Clements delivers a classic life swap story. Rachel leaves the country to accompany her mother-in-law to London, taking her two young children with her. Meanwhile, Laurie gets some unexpected time off work  so leaves London to stay in Rachel's picture perfect cottage in Yorkshire. Both women are out of their comfort zones but maybe that is what they need in order to take stock of their lives.
I liked both characters  but I found Laurie's story a little more interesting, maybe as she is the character who I felt changed the most during the book. Her whole life has been consumed about work, she has almost forgotten who she is away from the office. The locals are highly suspicious of her so Laurie sets out to win them round.
Abby Clements links the two women's stories together very well and I liked how she tied everything together at the end. Her writing has a very warm and inviting style and I think she is one to look out for in the future.

Dot Scribbles Rating: 4/5

Many thanks to Quercus for sending me a copy of the book to read, Meet Me Under the Mistletoe is out now and as I said it would make a lovely Christmas gift.

6 comments:

deeps said...

nice job
thanks for sharing...

Nadia said...

This book sounds like a fun read. I'm definitely kindling it. I love the idea of them swapping lives and then having to navigate their way in their new surroundings. Sounds so good! Great post, Dot!

Jess said...

I really enjoyed this one so am glad to see you did too!

Dot said...

Deeps- No problem!

Nadia- thanks lovely, hope you enjoy it!

Jess- It was really good wasn't it!

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I might see if I can sneak this one into my reading pile before Christmas! :) Thanks.

Dot said...

Nikki-ann- it is a great read for the festive period! xx

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...