18.10.12

Book Review: Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson

Memories define us.
So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?
Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love- all forgotten overnight?
And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.
Welcome to Christine's life.
There was so much hype surrounding this book when it was published and this strangely put me off. I wish I hadn't been though as Before I Go to Sleep is a stunning book.
Christine wakes up every morning knowing absolutely nothing. Not her name, her past, her hair colour, her house and her husband Ben. She relys on Ben for everything, he patiently explains it all to her every time she wakes up. He holds all of her memories and past experiences. How does she know he is telling the truth though, she has no memory so how can she be sure that he is not lying and why would he lie?
Before I Go to Sleep is a very sinister book but it's such a good read. Christine is so incredibly vulnerable and you begin to gain a picture of how terrifying it must be each time she wakes up.
S.J. Watson is very clever at building up the tension and suspense . I was constantly guessing at the outcome and I found myself analysing everything the characters said to see if I could catch them out.
I think this book works so well as it is entirely plausible, that makes it even more frightening.
Before I Go to Sleep is an excellent book and I was totally captivated by Christine and her terrifying situation. I would urge anyone to read this book, it is compulsive reading as soon as you start the first page.

Dot Scribbles Rating: 5/5

11 comments:

Kim said...

Do you think this is the sinister version of the film 'First 50 Dates'?
When I watched that film I remember thinking 'what if the recalled memories were made up by the person in control and were not true at all?'
Perhaps I should look out for this book to find out!
Thank you for a great review, Dot.

Nadia said...

Dot, great post! You make me want to read this one again :)

Dot said...

Kim- I remember thinking that when I watched that film!!

Nadia- thank you!

Jo said...

I am the same when it comes to hype books! Now I have this on my shelf and saw the author talk recently so I must get round to reading it.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Before I Go To Sleep. I think I picked it up earlier this year, but I've still not got around to reading it yet.

jessicabookworm said...

I must admit I'm often put off books by too much hype too. Probably why I haven't considered reading this book either till I read your review. Sounds so sinister!

Amanda said...

I got put off by the hype too but my cousin recently gave me a copy of this and now I've read your review I'll bump it up my pile!

Dot said...

Jo, Nikki and Jessica- I hope you all get round to reading it, such a good read!

Rhian said...

Thanks Dot. I read this book after reading your blog via your sister (I think) on Twitter. Really enjoyed it. Finished it in days!! I would definitely recommend and am now off to scour your blog to find something else to read. :)

Dot said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! Such a good book!

Cash Advance Fee said...

I really enjoyed this book as well. I found myself so caught up in the story that I couldn't put it down. (And I'll admit that the ending took me by surprise). I didn't realize that a movie was being made based off of it but I'm definitely going to have to see it. Great review!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...