31.10.12

Book Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie Mcguire

Abby Abernathy doesn't drink or swear and she works hard. Abby believes she has buried her dark past, but when she arrives at college, her dreams of a new beginning are quickly challenged by the university's walking one-night stand.
Travis Maddox, sexy, built and covered in tattoos is exactly what Abby needs and wants to avoid. he spends his nights winning money in a floating fight club and his days as the notorious college Lothario.
Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain celibate for a month, if Abby loses, she must live in Travis's apartment for the same amount of time.
Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match. Or that this is the start of an obsessive, intense relationship that will lead them both into unimaginable territory...
I have such mixed feelings about this book and I shall do my best to explain them. Initially I was absolutely hooked and I couldn't put the book down. But then as I got to know the characters more, I began to dislike them; and whilst I wanted to know what happened, I didn't enjoy it as much. Travis and Abby are both pretty dysfunctional so you know that sparks will fly when they get together. However, I found them a little selfish as they each did several things that they knew would wind each other up. I understand that they are consumed by their intense, passionate relationship, but they showed little regard for the others around them.
Jamie McGuire has created two very interesting characters, just because I didn't like them doesn't mean that they were badly written. Both are trying to escape from their pasts and they must decide if they can do that together or whether their relationship will ruin their future.
Beautiful Disaster is just that, two people in love with disastrous consequences. It was an intense read and I was left wondering how I felt about the characters and the decisions they made.

Dot Scribbles Rating: 3.75/5

Many thanks to the kind people at Simon and Schuster for sending me a copy of this book to review, Beautiful Disaster is out now.

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...