25.10.12

Book Review: The Angel at No.33 by Polly Williams

'Am I dead? I don't feel dead...'
Sophie cannot leave the people she loves. Her husband, Ollie- a man who once watered a house plant for a year before realising it was plastic- is lost without her. Their son Freddie is so little. And her friend Jenny? There's something she desperately needs to know before it's too late.
I took this book on holiday and my sister borrowed it first, she loved it and couldn't put it down. I really enjoyed it but I found it a tiny bit slow in places. Just goes to show how a book can easily get different reactions.
Sophie is dead when we first meet her, there is no long drawn out illness so it is as much of a shock to her as it is to those around her. Now she can see everything that is going on  without others being able to see her. Sophie has to watch her husband and son struggle with their loss. She has to watch her best friend Jen try to get on with her life and worst of all she has to watch other women try to take her place.
Polly Williams is a very witty writer but The Angel at No. 33 is also extremely poignant. I know it is terribly cliched but this book makes you take a step back and be grateful for what you have in life.
As I said, I did find this book a little slow in places but I still think it is a worthwhile read. It never hurts to be reminded of the bigger picture.

Dot Scribbles Rating 4/5

Many thanks to Headline for sending me a copy of this book to review, it is out now.

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...