2.6.11

Book Review: Persuasion by Jane Austen

Eight years ago, Anne Elliot and Frederick Wentworth fell head over heels in love. But Anne's snobbish family put a stop to their engagement, believing the young naval captain wasn't good enough for her. Pretty, intelligent Anne soon realises it was a terrible mistake, and spends her twenties in the shadow of her father and her selfish sisters. But she never forgets.
Then Captain Wentworth- by now a successful, wealthy man, looking for a wife- walks back into her life. Can he forgive her? Does he still love her? And could they ever be happy after all this time?
By turns achingly sad and intensely romantic, Persuasion is the ultimate wish-fulfilment novel about love lost and regained. It's a true Cinderella story, for anyone who's ever felt overlooked or anyone who's ever had their heart broken...
Persuasion was the only Jane Austen novel that I hadn't read. I can't say that it has taken the place of Pride and Prejudice as my favourite but I still enjoyed it.
As the blurb says, it is very much a Cinderella story, Anne Elliot is very much put upon and overlooked by her other family members. Her opinion is never sought and her feelings are very rarely considered. Anne Elliot was not allowed to marry Frederick Wentworth as he was deemed below her. She has spent the subsequent years wondering what would have been and feeling the loss of a relationship so it comes as a shock when Frederick Wentworth comes back into her life. He is now Captain Wentworth, having gained both success and a considerable fortune, he is now considered very much a catch. Anne does not find it easy to spend time in his company, especially as it appears that he is on the look out for a wife and several women in her company have their sights firmly set on him.
Persuasion is classic Jane Austen, the path of romance in no way runs smoothly. There are misunderstandings, unrequited love and the dreaded social etiquette of the day. Anne is very different from her family so it seems even harder when they are able to make decisions on her behalf. I was willing Anne to get the relationship that she yearned for. I felt that she truly deserved to be loved by someone who would appreciate who she is and what she had to offer. Captain Wentworth is a good hero, for me he is not as attractive as Mr Darcy but I did like how determined he was and I felt that he and Anne were extremely well matched.
Persuasion is a beautiful story and I am very pleased that I took the time to read it.

7 comments:

Nadia said...

Dot, I've only read P&P and have been wanting to read more of Austen's works. Sounds like I found my next Austen - thanks!

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

Lovely review! I am very glad you enjoyed the novel. I think it's an overlooked Austen novel, but it's actually a really beautiful love story.

Julie @ Read Handed said...

I loved this Austen novel. Like Irene, I think it is often overlooked, but it shouldn't be!

Dot said...

Nadia- Good- I hope that you enjoy it!

Irena- It is a beautiful love story- I'm so glad that I read it.

Julie- It's not as popular as the others, which is a shame.

Dot said...

Rohit- thank you, I hope that you enjoy it.

Molly Page said...

I discovered your blog searching for a Persuasion picture! Nice to "meet" you. This is a great review!

Dot said...

Thanks Molly! Nice to meet you too!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...