18.1.11

Book Review: The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen

The Surgeon has been locked up for a year but his chilling legacy still haunts the city, and especially Boston detective Jane Rizzoli. But now a new killer is at work and Rizzoli senses something horrifyingly similar about him.
The FBI starts taking an interest in the investigation and Rizzoli begins to wonder just what makes this case so different and so dangerous?
But then the unthinkable happens: the Surgeon escapes. And suddenly there are two twisted killers on the loose- master and apprentice...
Tess Gerritsen just gets better; I was a little worried that this book may not have been as good as The Surgeon but I thought it was brilliant. The Apprentice is the second book in the Rizzoli and Isles series. Jane Rizzoli is the police detective who escaped and jailed The Surgeon in the last book and Dr Isles is the pathologist who she works closely with.
In this book we learn much more about Jane Rizzoli and how she is trying to get on with her life after evading a serial killer. When she is called to a murder scene, the similarities  with the Surgeon's handiwork are striking but she is also extremely conscious of not appearing as though she is obsessed with what has happened in the past. The investigation is then joined by FBI agent Gabriel Dean, who manages to get everyone's backs up. Rizzoli does not trust him, especially when she discovers that he has been withholding vital information on the case.
The moment that Rizzoli finds out that the Surgeon has escaped from prison is extremely tense, you can actually feel her fear and anger. I think this is what Tess Gerritsen does best; she has the hairs on the back of your neck standing up but you cannot stop yourself from reading on.
So now it appears that the Surgeon and the Apprentice  may now have joined forces and the Surgeon definitely has unfinished business where Jane Rizzoli is concerned.
I'm so excited to have found such a good series of books and I already have the third one, The Sinner, sitting on my shelf waiting.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love crime novels, especially if they're a series and you can really get to know the characters. I found quite a few books by this author at my local charity shop and have been meaning to start them - reading how much you liked them I think I will get around to it sooner rather than later :)

Dot said...

Book Chick City- They're ever so good, you should give them a go!

nomadreader said...

I haven't read these, but I do enjoy the show! I have a few mystery series to work through, but I'm thinking of giving this series a go this fall!

Dot said...

Carrie- I think they're great, we don't get the show in the UK but I would love to see it!

Simon (Savidge Reads) said...

I am so, so, so, so, pleased to see that you are loving the Gerritsen books. As you know I am a complete fan and have a major love for the Rizoli & Isles series... they get better and better.

Dot said...

Simon- I'm really pleased too! Don't know why I have taken so long to pick one up! I have The Sinner sitting on my shelf, really looking forward to starting that soon!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...