14.6.10

Book Review: I Remember You by Harriet Evans


I am a big fan of Harriet Evans' books so it was no surprise that this one made its way into my shopping basket.
Tess Tennant is leaving London after a failed relationship. She decides to head home to picturesque Langford (I pictured Cranford when reading it), she has a new job teaching Classics at the private college and is looking forward to the familiarity that she left behind. Tess is extremely excited about seeing Adam on her return to Langford, he is her best friend, they grew up together and share many secrets. Langford is not exactly how Tess remembered; the residents are a lot older, the village is in uproar about plans to build on their famed water meadows and Adam, although welcoming, is quite busy with his new girlfriend.
Tess soon becomes stuck in a bit of a rut and is becoming old before her time. She takes her students on a week long trip to Rome which changes everything. She meets an American who literally sweeps her off her feet and they make the most of the romantic, ancient city. However, the holiday comes to a rather shocking end with a discovery that Tess in no way was expecting. Upon her return to Langford, Tess has to decide what she wants and who she really is.
This book was a lovely and very comforting read. Langford proved to be a brilliant setting, whilst it's lovely for Tess to return to her childhood home, it is also very different for her to view it through adult eyes. I enjoyed the relationship between her and Adam; Harriet Evans slowly reveals the events from their past, there's a number of surprises along the way that leave you wanting to know more.
Rome is my favourite city so this was my favourite part of the book. It is described so well, it almost felt as though the reader gets a little holiday during these chapters as we follow Tess on her adventures with her new man.
I Remember You deals with friendship, loss, love, loyalty and many, many secrets. I would highly recommend this book and I can't wait for Harriet Evans' next one.

7 comments:

verity said...

Ooh, this sounds great - will look out for the library copy soon :)

Dot said...

Verity- It's a lovely book, hope that you can get hold of a copy.

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

I don't know this author (yet), but you wrote a great review and it makes me want to read this novel. It's sort of reminiscent of what Cecelia Ahern writes about, perhaps.

Dot said...

Irena- Thank you, Harriet Evans doesn't have as much of the fairytale element that Cecilia Ahern has but her books are really lovely!

Nadia said...

Sounds great! I love Rome, too, so I'm excited to read about it in this book. And I love the idea of viewing your old hometown through your adult eyes, because it is such a different experience and its something I'm doing now. I'll definitely be looking for this book. Thanks, Dot!

Kim said...

I will be looking out for this book, Dot, you make it sound so interesting. Ah Rome! perhaps my favourite city too so the book is all the more appealing because it includes scenes in Rome. Thanks for another great review.

Dot said...

Nadia- It made me want to go back to Rome again, it's a really good book!

Kim- Thank you! I think you would enjoy reading this one, it's a good Summery read!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...