4.5.10

Book Review: The Good Husband of Zebra Drive by Alexander McCall Smith


I always feel as though reading a book from this series is like catching up with old friends. They're all here in The Good Husband of Zebra Drive: Precious Ramotswe, Mma Makutsi, Mr J.L.B Makatoni, Mr Polopetsi and the apprentices.
Precious Ramotswe has to investigate a series of deaths at the hospital, possible theft at a printing company and she allows Mr J.L.B Maketoni to head up his own case where a disgruntled wife is accusing her husband of having an affair. Personal lives and business cross paths when Mma Makutsi declares her resignation and Charlie, the apprentice, leaves to set up his own taxi firm.
I am a big, big fan of this series and Alexander McCall Smith's writing in general but unfortunately this one just didn't do it for me. The characters were perfect as usual, they really are brilliant creations. However, I just found it really difficult to immerse myself completely. It was almost as though there were too many competing strands so I found it hard to get fully involved in the story.
This isn't one of my favourites from the series but it was lovely to step back into the world of Mma Ramotswe and her detective agency. I have the next one on my TBR pile and I look forward to finding out what is in store for these wonderful characters.

3 comments:

Nadia said...

Dot, I know what you mean. This book wasn't the usual fare for the series, but the newest one is back on track. I suppose there is always one that sticks out as being a bit disconnected. Hope you enjoy the next one!

Shan said...

That's too bad that this one isn't as good. I love this series, but am a few books behind right now. I do agree that picking up one of these books is like catching up with old friends.

Dot said...

Nadia- Thank you, good to hear that the next one is good!!

Shan- It's lovely isn't it, they are some of my favourite characters.

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...