28.4.10

Book Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

I kept on reading very positive reviews of Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins so I decided to find out what all the fuss was about for myself. I'm so glad that I did, Hex Hall is a little like The Worst Witch crossed with Mean Girls and a sprinkling of Harry Potter.
Sophie Mercer is only sixteen when she discovers that she is a witch. Whilst trying to help someone out she performs a love spell with dire consequences. As a punishment Sophie is sent to Hecate Hall; known as 'Hex Hall' by the pupils, it is a reform school for Prodigium; which can include witches, shapeshifters, faeries and warlocks. Sophie's first day does not go well, she quickly makes enemies of the three most beautiful and popular girls in school. She has a crush in a warlock who happens to be with one of the 'mean girls'. To top it all off, Sophie's roomate Jenna is the only vampire allowed at Hex Hall making her the freakiest and most disliked of them all. As if this isn't enough, awful events start taking place at the school; students are being attacked and all fingers are pointing at Jenna. Sophie wants to protect her new best friend but it is hard for her to know who to trust in this strange new world she has been thrust into.
I loved Hex Hall, Rachel Hawkins starts the action immediately and she does not let up until the very end. I did not see the twist at the end coming which is great as you feel as though you are experiencing everything a and when Sophie does. Rachel Hawkins has created some weird and wonderful characters but if you strip away all the magic and special powers then you are left with a group of teenagers trying to discover who and what is important to them. Sophie is new to this world and there is so much she needs to know. She has to decide whether she would rather fit in with the popular pupils or stand up for those who are most important to her.

Hex Hall was such a good read and I really hope that there are more to come as they would make a great series. 

8 comments:

nomadreader said...

I keep reading positive reviews of this book too, but your is the first one that actually makes me want to read it. It sounds like a fun, summer read. Thanks!

Dot said...

nomadreader- Ah thanks! I really enjoyed it, pretty quick read too!

Bee said...

This sounds like a really fun read, so different from what I usually read.. I think that I may keep an eye out for this one, thanks for the fab review! :-)

Hugs xxx

Dot said...

Scattie- I'm really enjoying reading some young adult fiction books!

Charlie said...

Your first sentence, that will be me when I finally get around to getting a copy. This books is everywhere! Thanks for the review :) I prefer the US cover though, the UK one looks more like it's a book about a TV show.

Dot said...

Cahrlie- I hope that you enjoy it, I have to agree about the cover, I saw the US one the other day and like it more!

Splendibird said...

I also just reviewed this. I really hated the cover and title and only read it because of positive reviews - and loved it! I even came round to the title in the end. Looking forward to book two!

Dot said...

Splendibird- I'm really looking forward to book 2 as well, would make a great film too.

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...