9.3.10

Book Review: The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson


The lovely people at Waterstones sent me a copy of The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson. I read it over the weekend as it is a very difficult book to put down. I don't want to give too much of the excellent plot away so I am going to give you the blurb:
As teenagers, Poppy Carlisle and Serena Gorringe were the only witnesses to a tragic event. The two teenagers were dubbed 'The Ice Cream Girls' by the press and dealt with by the courts.
Years later, having led very different lives, Poppy is keen to set the record straight about what really happened, while Serena wants no one in her present to find out about her past. But some secrets will not stay buried and if theirs is revealed, everything will become a living hell all over again...

I think that many people would look at the cover of The Ice Cream Girls and assume that it is a feel good chick lit novel, however, Dorothy Koomson actually delivers a page-turning psychological thriller.
The book alternates between narratives from Poppy and Serena and this allows the reader to get to know the two characters very well. I found them to be completely believable as I was caught up in their past and present lives.
There are so many twists and turns in this book, Dorothy Koomson deals with extremely shocking subject matter in a sensitive and honest way. You are kept guessing right up until the very end and the final chapter was a complete shock to me.
The Ice Cream Girls looks at how the decisions we make affect our lives and those around us. However different their lives have been, Poppy and Serena are linked by their joint experiences and the decisions they were forced to make. They may not be friends but they have a bond that will always tie them together.
This is the second Dorothy Koomson book that I have read and I know that I will be looking out for her other ones from now on. The Ice Cream Girls has brilliant characters and a story that engages you the whole way through, I would highly recommend this book.

Waterstones are holding a live web chat with Dorothy Koomson today between 1 and 3pm, if you would like to ask the author anything then click on the link below to take part:

Live Web Chat with Dorothy Koomson hosted by Waterstones

9 comments:

verity said...

I really enjoyed this too - you're right, it's a chicklit looking book but so much more than that - I'm in some ways a bit puzzled by the packaging of it! It did keep me guessing but I thought a tiny bit too much of the story was given away early on...

Dot said...

Verity- The packaging is a little strange isn't it! I thought that Dorothy Koomson dealt with the subject matter really well though.

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Ooh, thanks for the review, I really want to read this one!

Vicki said...

I loved it too, and also agree that the cover really doesn't suit the book. I like the cover, I just think it will put off a lot of people who would actually really enjoy the book.

Dot said...

Bookalicious Ramblings- Thank you, I think that you would really enjoy this one!

Rhiana- I agree! I really enjoyed this one though, struggled to put it down!

Nadia said...

I've only read on Koomson book and that was My Best Friend's Girl, which I loved! I have Marshmallows For Breakfast on my shelf, but must admit that The Ice Cream Girls sounds much better. I think I'll be adding another Koomson to my shelf. Thanks for the great review! Cheers!

Dot said...

Nadia- That is the only other Dorothy Koomson book that I have read too! I really enjoyed My Best Friend's Girl but I would say that this one is even better as it is so gripping.

Christie said...

That's two recent books I've added to my tbr list thanks to your reviews! (The Bed I Made is the other...)

Dot said...

Christie- Thank you, I hope that you enjoy them. They are both at the top of my list of books that I have really enjoyed so far this year!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...