9.3.09

The Young Victoria


Mr S and I went to see The Young Victoria at the cinema yesterday and I loved it! I am a bit of a sucker for period dramas and this did not disappoint. Emily Blunt plays the young Queen and Rupert Friend is the dashing Prince Albert. I have never really had an interest in Queen Victoria as books and school history lessons seemed to focus on the older queen especially the kind of life she lead after the death of Albert. This film however focuses on Victoria as a young girl and the strained relationship she had with her overbearing mother; the story follows her as she ascends the throne and falls in love with and marries Albert. I had never really thought of Queen Victoria being a young woman, yet she was only 18 when she became the Queen of England. Many people expected her to fail and she had to quickly learn who she could trust; Albert was one of the few who truly loved her and did not have ulterior motives.
The film was really well made; the costumes and scenery were beautiful and the music was excellent too, I really would recommend it!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

*Period Drama* ;o)

Dot said...

That really does make you chuckle doesn't it! xxx

Unknown said...

Just to clarify, it's not the words *period drama* that make me chuckle. I outgrew that humour a while ago ;o) However, I love that you love them so much!!! xx

Anonymous said...

OMG! Emily Blunt in a period drama?! How did I not know about this? It looks great -- and now I've been Googling it! :) haha. Yes, my Anglophilia knows no bounds! Thanks for the heads-up, though I don't know if it'll be released in the U.S. I'll keep an eye out, though!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...