6.3.20

BOOK REVIEW: A Springtime Affair by Katie Fforde

Love is in the air in the latest book from cult romance novelist Katie Fforde. 
Gilly proudly runs her own B&B, until she meets a handsome estate agent called Leo who makes her wonder if the time has come to sell up. 
Meanwhile, her daughter Helena has a budding romance of her own… with spring approaching and the season of new beginnings, could their new loves lead to their happily ever after? Publisher: Century

I have lost count of how many wonderful books Katie Fforde has written but I am always very excited when her latest one arrives.
A Springtime Affair has two central female characters, Gilly and her daughter Helena. Gilly is divorced and runs her own B&B from her beloved family home. Helena is a talented weaver and is currently living in her landlords spare room until she can find a better home for her and her loom. It helps that Jago, her landlord, is extremely attractive and very kind. Gilly has her own romantic interests too, the charismatic Leo wants to sweep her off her feet but whilst it’s extremely flattering, she’s not completely sure that she wants to be swept anywhere. 
The dynamic between Gilly and Helena is wonderful. The mother-daughter relationship can be tense and fraught and I think Katie Fforde does an excellent job of showing the battle for both parent and child when in adulthood of being protective but not overbearing or interfering. Gilly and Helena want the best for each other but they are both grown women who need to make their own decisions and mistakes. 
My favourite part of the book was the relationship that develops between Helena and Jago. It is very sincere and loving, you can see how right they are for each other. Katie Fforde throws in a corker of a twist towards the end though which I did not see coming. 
You always know you are in for a great story with Katie Fforde’s books and A Springtime Affair is bound to delight readers. I’m so pleased that she chose to explore the mother-daughter dynamic within this book as I very much enjoyed this aspect.
I highly recommend this book, you will not be disappointed.

Many thanks to Century for sending me a gifted copy of this book for review. 

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...