20.8.19

BOOK REVIEW: Swan Song by Kelleigh Greenberg-Jephcott

To the outside world, they were the icons of high society — the most glamorous and influential women of their age. To Truman Capote they were his Swans: the ideal heroines, as vulnerable as they were powerful. They trusted him with their most guarded, martini-soaked secrets, each believing she was more special and loved than the next…Until he betrayed them.
Publisher: Penguin 
I've not read anything by Truman Capote but I was intrigued when this book kept popping up on book blogs. I'm so glad I made the decision to read it as I found the story fascinating. Kelleigh Greenberg-Jephcott explores the world of Truman Capote and his 'swans'- a collection of wealthy, well-known women of the time who considered him their close friend. He considered them friends too,  yet this did not stop him from sharing their secrets and those they had shared others. Capote wrote an article for Esquire magazine  called 'La Cote Basque 1965' which divulged some of high society's best kept secrets. The swans were horrified and ended their friendship with him. Capote spent many years trying to win them all back but he died alone and friendless nine years later. 
Swan Song contains so much, it looks at the role of the author, familial relationships, society, class, friendship, money, power and fame. I felt like I was offered a glimpse into a world I knew nothing about and one I would not want to spend a lot of time in. 
Truman Capote was clearly a complex man with many, many issues. I felt that the author did an excellent job of showing this. There were times when I felt sorry for him and others where he was completely abhorrent. 
Don't be put off if you haven't read any of Capote's books, I'm going to now that I've read this and I actually feel like I will get more from them due to having read Swan Song an finding out about his life. 
I can highly recommend Swan Song, it is insightful and captivating. 
Many thanks to Penguin and Netgalley for allowing me to review a copy of this book. 

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...