6.8.18

BOOK REVIEW: The Party by Elizabeth Day

Martin Gilmour and Ben Fitzmaurice have been best friends for 25 years, since their days together at Burtonberry School.
They are an unlikely pair: the scholarship boy with the wrong accent and clothes, and the dazzlingly popular, wealthy young aristocrat. But Martin knows no one else can understand the bond they share- and no one else could have kept Ben's secret for over two decades.
At Ben's 40th birthday party, the cream of British establishment gathers in a haze of champagne, drugs and glamour. Amid the politicians, the celebrities, the old money and the newly rich, Martin once again feels that pang of not quite belonging. His wife Lucy has her reservations too. There is something unnerving in the air. But Ben wouldn't do anything to damage their friendship would he?

Publisher: 4th State
Pages: 292

The Party by Elizabeth Day is one of the best books that I have read in 2018. I kept on seeing it popping up on Instagram and people's blogs so I thought I'd best get a copy.
I agree with the comparisons with The Riot Club but it also reminded me a little of The Secret History by Donna Tartt which also happens to be one of my favourite books.
Martin Gilmour and Ben Fitzmaurice me at school and have been best friends ever since. Burtonberry is a famous boarding school, Martin attended on a scholarship whereas Ben comes from one of England's wealthiest families. Martin's whole life has revolved around his friendship with Ben, no one can understand it because only Ben and Martin know the secret they share. Ben throws a lavish part to celebrate his 40th; the British elite are in attendance and once again, Martin and his wife Lucy are left feeling that they don't quite belong. There is a heady atmosphere at the party, too much power, money and free-flowing champagne. Ben is acting strangely and being rather distant but Martin can't believe that he would suddenly jeopardise their lifelong friendship.
The Party is so well written. Elizabeth Day's storytelling is tantalising. She offers you a small morsel of information so that you are always left wanting more and more.
Martin Gilmour is a hugely complex character, there were times when I felt sorry for him, times when I detested him and many times where he just made me cringe and feel uncomfortable. Martin and Ben represent the huge divides that still exist within our class system and highlight the different rules and opportunities that exist for people of huge wealth. The Party is so relevant in a time where the divide created by money is becoming more and more apparent.
I enjoyed how Day went back and forth between Martin and Ben at the party and the two men during their time at school and university. Day shows how often, the decisions you make during those highly volatile times often shape and mould the people we become in the future. Martin's whole existence is based around Ben because he believes they have an unbreakable bond because of the secret he has kept. Ben on the other hand is so used to Martin doing whatever he asks of him, he has no doubt in his mind that this will continue no matter how that may effect his childhood friend.
The Party is a book I know I will read again many times and notice new things with each visit. Elizabeth Day has written three other books which I would like to try as she blew me away with her story-telling in The Party.  

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...