7.7.16

BOOK REVIEW: My Husband's Wife by Jane Corry

It's the perfect love story.
Lily meets Ed at a party, and on their second date, he proposes.
She's a lawyer, he's an up-and-coming artist. They own a beautiful flat in London and mix with all the right people.
But Lily has a secret. Something from her past, that is soon to collide with her present. And she thinks her new husband is hiding something too.
The vows they made will soon be tested to the very limits.
'Till death us do part...'


Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 520


My Husband's Wife is Jane Corry's debut thriller and it is fantastic. It is dark, gripping and twisted. I felt like there were so many layers to this story and they were all expertly dealt with.
Lily and Ed met at a party, they both have skeletons in their closet but they are inexplicably drawn to each other. Ed proposes on their second date and they set up home together. Lily is a lawyer and Ed works in advertising whilst pursuing his dream of being an artist. Both of their pasts are going to catch up with them at some point but how will it effect their future?
Lily's world is turned upside down when she is asked to represent a convicted murderer who is appealing his sentence. Lily's subsequent relationship with Jo Thomas has consequences for all those around her.
Jane Corry's writing is precise and so well crafted. I loved the way in which she built up each character gradually. She lures you into feeling like you know them really well and then she will do something that throws you entirely off course.
I enjoyed the legal aspect of the book and how the author shows that it is not always evidence alone that wins the case but instead the way in which it is presented. At the start of the book, Lily seems to have a very strong sense of right and wrong; she sees things in a very black and white manner. But her involvement with Joe Thomas leads her to look at the world differently; suddenly there are lots of grey areas and her behaviour reflects this.
My Husband's Wife is a gripping read. I felt that I wanted to be part of Lily and Ed's world but once I was in it I could see it for the nightmare that it truly is. There is so much tension in this book; tension between characters; between the past and the present and between outward appearances and reality.
Jane Corry's debut is not one to be missed and I highly recommend it.

Many thanks to Penguin for sending me a review copy of this book, it is published on 25th August! 

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...