15.6.16

BOOK REVIEW: Play Dead by Angela Marsons

The dead don't tell secrets...
Unless you listen.
The girls smashed-in face stared unseeing up to the blue sky, soil spilling out of her mouth. A hundred flies hovered above the bloodied mess.
Westerley Research Facility is not for the faint-hearted, A 'body farm' investigating human decomposition, it's inhabitants are corpses in various states of decay. But when Detective Kim Stone and her team discover the fresh body of a young woman, it seems a killer has discovered the perfect cover to bury their crime.
Then a second girl is attacked and left for dead, her body drugged and mouth filled with soil. It's clear to Stone and the team that a serial killer is at work- but just how many bodies will they uncover? And who is next?
As local reporter, Tracy Frost, disappears the stakes are raised. The past seems to hold the key to the killer's secrets but can Kim uncover the truth before a twisted, damaged mind claims another victim?

Publisher: Bookouture

This is one of my favourite series of books, Angela Marsons is fantastic. I say it each time I review this author's books so I apologise but I think this latest book is her best yet. Play Dead showcases this author's talents, the story is gripping; the characters are well-crafted and believable and she packs so much emotion into this instalment.
Kim Stone does not want to pay a visit to Westerley Research Facility as she thinks it will be a waste of her time. But the body of a woman is discovered while she is there; her face beaten and her mouth filled with soil. The killer now has Kim's full attention. Why such a brutal murder and why leave the body at Westerley?
I really was hooked from the beginni
ng; I felt as though Angela Marsons does not waste your time in any way. I constantly wanted more as she expertly built up the suspense and tension.
We see a lot more of Kim's human side in this story, especially towards Tracy Frost. Kim detests the reporter but when she goes missing, Kim does everything she can to bring her to safety whilst discovering that she may have misjudged this woman.
If you have not read any of Angela Marson's books yet then you are missing out. I look forward to each new book in the series and I can't recommend then enough.

Many thanks to Bookouture for allowing me to review this book via Netgalley. 

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...