30.9.13

Book Review: It's Raining Men by Milly Johnson

Best friends from work, May, Lara and Clare are desperate for some time away. They have each had a rough time lately and need some serious R&R. So they set off to a luxurious spa for ten glorious days, but when they arrive at their destination, it seems it is not the place they thought it was. In fact, they appear to have come to an entirely different village...
Here in Ren Dullem nothing is quite what it seems; the lovely cobbled streets and picturesque cottages hide a secret that the villagers have been keeping hidden for years.  Why is everyone so unfriendly and suspicious? Why does the landlord of their holiday rental seem so rude? And why are there so few women in the village?
Despite the strange atmosphere, the three friends are determined to make the best of it. But will this be the break they all need? Or will the odd little village with all its secrets bring them all to breaking point?
I started this book with the intention of taking it on holiday with me but I couldn't as I had finished it before I had even packed my case! I always know that I am in for a treat with Milly Johnson but this is my favourite of her books so far.
May, Lara and Clare find themselves in the small coastal village of Ren Dullem by accident when their booking at a luxury spa goes terribly wrong. Desperate for a holiday, the three friends decide to stay and make the most of it, yet they get much more than they bargained for.
This strange village could be beautiful yet it is the unfriendliest place these three women have ever visited. And what is with the lack of women, there are hardly any and May, Lara and Clare get stared at wherever they go. Their landlord Gene Hathersage and his brother are rather attractive but one seems to permanently be in a bad mood and the other has a vile fiancee who the whole village is terrified of.
I enjoyed this book so much. It had a slightly magical and mysterious edge to it and once I had started, I just couldn't stop reading.
I liked all three of the female characters and I enjoyed the separate story-lines that Milly Johnson had created, there is plenty going on to keep you interested.
The village of Ren Dullem is almost a character as well; I was intrigued as to what was going on and the secrets being kept by the inhabitants. I loved the ending and the little extra surprises included.
It's Raining Men is a funny, warm and entertaining read. Milly Johnson at her best.

Dot Scribbles Rating: 5/5
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Pages: 480

Many thanks to Simon and Schuster for sending me a copy of this book to review, it is out now!

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...