16.9.13

Book Review: Dot by Araminta Hall

In a higgledy-piggledy house situated in a sleepy Welsh village, two girls play hide and seek within its maze of tunnels and range of turrets.
Squeezed under her mother's bed. Dot's hand brushes against a long-forgotten photograph of a man, his hair blowing in the breeze. Dot stares so long at the photograph, the image begins to disintegrate before her very eyes, leaving her with just one thought; 'it's him.'
Dot weaves together the heartbreaking yet powerful story of three generations of women whose lives are dramatically changed by one small act. 
This book is really special. The modern parts of the book are set in 2005 yet it is almost timeless; it made me think a lot of I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith.
Araminta Hall has written a real coming of age tale that many readers will identify with. Dot is waiting for her A-Level results and about to leave the small Welsh village where she has lived her whole life. Living in a huge house with her mother and grandmother, Dot has so many questions. She wants to know who her father is and why he left. Her mother is extremely difficult to talk to though so she decides to find out for herself; unaware that her actions will have consequences for those around her.
The book is written mainly from female perspectives and it is very interesting to hear from three different generations; the secrets they keep and the regrets they have.
Dot is beautifully written, Araminta Hall draws you into her expertly drafted story, you feel like it is being woven round you as the reader has all the information that Dot is looking for and you are willing for it all to come together.
Dot is a truly interesting read that I highly recommend, Araminta Hall has written another book, Everything and Nothing which I will definitely be reading.

Dot Scribbles Rating: 5/5
Pages: 288
Publisher: Harper Collins

Many thanks to Harper Collins for sending me a copy of the book, Dot is out now!

2 comments:

jessicabookworm said...

Sounds like I would enjoy this book, as I have fond memories of reading I Capture the Castle as a teenager.

Dot said...

Jessica- I loved that book, this one made me think abou it a lot. It's just written so well, I would highly recommend it!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...