18.9.12

Book Review: Heart Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne

When Archway Young Offenders Institution is closed down, a notebook is found in one of the rooms.
'I have to start by saying that this isn't an apology. I'm not sorry. I'm not.'
This is that notebook.
'They say I'm evil and everyone believes it. Including you. But you don't know.'
It's pages reveal the dark and troubled mind of Emily Koll, Archway's most notorious inmate.
'Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever shake off my mistakes or if I'll just carry them round with me forever like a bunch of red balloons.'
This book is extraordinary, I have not been able to stop thinking about it since I finished it.
The book is effectively diary excerpts, so we get everything from Emily's perspective and she does not hold back at any point. Tanya Byrne uses Emily's character to explore revenge, its limits and its consequences. I felt extremely confused as I read the book as I seriously liked Emily but I felt as though I shouldn't. I think you feel as though you should sympathise with the victim but in this book I felt more empathy for the villain.
Heart Shaped Bruise is one of the most tense books that I have ever read. It is so clever, the reader knows that Emily has done something awful; we know she has been imprisoned for it but we do not find out right until the very end, exactly what it is. I made several guesses as the story unravelled but I honestly was not prepared for the ending.
Heart Shaped Bruise is a complex psychological thriller that will easily cross over from YA to adult fiction. I cannot recommend this book enough, Tanya Byrne is fantastic and I can't wait to see what she does next.

Dot Scribbles Rating: 5/5

Many thanks to Headline for sending me a copy of this book to review, Heart Shaped Bruise is out now!

5 comments:

Nadia said...

Wow! This book sounds fantastic! And now I'm wondering what she did to get imprisoned! I'm definitely going to have kindle this one! Great post - thanks!

Dot said...

It's so good!!

Kim said...

I agree with Nadia, this book sounds really great and I, too, am wondering what she did to get imprisoned!
Will definitely have to check it out.
Thanks for a great review, as always Dot.

Jo said...

Another one for the list, thanks Dot!

I think the author is coming to my local book festival too. Must go and see.

Customer recommendations for San Antonio House Cleaning information said...

I don't normally read this genre but I decided to read this after it was recommended to me. This book is absolutely fantastic. Written from the view point of Emily Koll, this book makes you feel what Emily feels. You should feel sorry for Juliet and everything she has lost at the hands of Emily's father but you end up being on Emily's side and feeling for Emily. This book left me wanting more.

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...