24.7.12

Book Review: The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

For two centuries Jacob Marlowe has wondered the world, enslaved by his lunatic appetites and tormented by the memory of his first and most monstrous crime. Now, the last of his kind, he knows he can't go on. But  as Jake counts down to suicide, a violent murder and an extraordinary meeting plunge him straight back into the desperate pursuit of life. 
This book is seriously good! Jacob Marlowe is over 200 years old and the last living werewolf. Knowing that his time is coming to an end he has to decide whether he will give into his fate or will be put up a fight? An unplanned and unexpected meeting leads him to want to live but how will he do that when he is literally being hunted down?
This book is completely fantastical, there are werewolves, vampires, demons, secret government agencies and so on. However, Glen Duncan makes it entirely believable by bringing in references to gritty, everyday life in the present and also looking back at the previous years of Jake's long life.
The pace of this book just doesn't stop, Jake's life span is literally getting shorter with each page and you can feel his desperation to live but also the weariness of constantly having to fight and look over his shoulder.
Glen Duncan uses language wonderfully in this book. He chooses his words carefully which makes reading the story even more enjoyable.
I would highly recommend The Last Werewolf as it was so interesting on many different levels. I particularly enjoyed the author's writing style and I will certainly be reading his other books.

Dot Scribbles Rating: 4.5/5

4 comments:

Nadia said...

Dot, this sounds like such a terrific read. I bought a copy of the book on a whim and now I'm glad I did. After reading your review I know I'm in for a treat. Cheers!

Dot said...

Nadia- I hope that you enjoy it, I thought that it was such an interesting read!

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Great review! Sounds right up my street... Another one to add to my TBR pile! :D

I hope you and the baby are well :)

Dot said...

Nikki-ann- We're both good thanks, just going through the joys of weaning!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...