1.10.10

New to Dot Scribbles Shelves

It's been a busy old week here at Dot Scribbles, we've had our sometimes lodger's Birthday to celebrate, jobs to apply for, in-laws to entertain but there has still been time to enjoy the new books that have come through the post box.
I have bought two books this week, both of which are quite old but I had recently seen very good reviews so here they are:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Penguin) Enter a vanished world: Jackson, Mississippi, 1962. Where black maids raise white children, but aren't trusted not to steal the silver..
There's Aibileen, raiding her seventeenth white child and nursing the hurt caused  by her own son's tragic death; Minny, whose cooking is nearly as sassy as her tongue; and white Miss Skeeter, home from college, who wants to know why her beloved maid has disappeared.
Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny. No one would believe they'd be friends; fewer still would tolerate it. But as each woman finds the courage to cross boundaries, they come to depend and rely upon one another. Each is in search of a truth. And together they have an extraordinary story to tell...

All You Need is Love by Carole Matthews (Headline) Single mum and superwoman Sally Freeman wants a better life for herself and her son Charlie. But it's not going to be easy when their home is on a run -down Liverpool council estate.
Just as Sally's mission to improve their surroundings gets under way, she's offered a ticket out of there, in the splendid form of Spencer Knight. He has everything she could wish for- the looks, the charm, not to mention the wallet. But is he the answer to her prayers, or does her hapless ex-boyfriend Johnny still hold the key to her heart?
As Sally decides what to do, she discovers that if The Beatles are right, and all you need is love then everything will fall into place.

I have received two lovely books for review this week:

Out for Blood by Alyxandra Harvey (Bloomsbury 1st November) Hunter Wild, vampire hunter and star pupil at a top secret slayer academy, has a crush on a guy called Quinn. He's tall, dark and very handsome. He's also a vampire, and one of the infamous Drake brothers at that.
As if forbidden love wasn't bad enough, something strange is also happening at the Helios-Ra academy. Vampire attacks are increasing, students are mysteriously falling ill and the teachers seem completely clueless. It's up to Hunter and her friends to put things right...that is if she can get a certain immortal out of her head long enough to think about anything else.

Down to Earth by Melanie Rose (Avon 14th October) Suffering last-minute panic, Michaela's three colleagues go first. But just as she takes her leap of faith, an almighty gale blows up from nowhere.
When she returns to the ground, she finds the airfield deserted, her car gone and the seasons mysteriously changed. Posters nearby proclaim Michaela to have been missing for the last six and a half years...
Everything about her life is completely different.
But Michaela is determined to find out the truth. Was she kidnapped? Is she now suffering amnesia- or has something even more extraordinary occurred?
With the help of handsome pilot Matt, Michaela sets out to find the truth. And what she discovers rocks everything she has ever believed in to the core...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Help is a wonderful book, one that stays with you once you have finished.

I look forward to the reviews of the others, just to expand my ever growing list!

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Dot,

What a great assortment of books, which will you choose to read first?


Hi Jo,

'The Help' is a book that I keep picking up off the shelves, but always seem to end up putting back in favour of something else. Now you have recommended it, I may actually get around to reading it. Thanks

Karen said...

I hope you enjoy The Help - I put off reading it for so long because of the hype that was surrounding it but I was not disappointed at all when I finally read it - it is an amazing read.

Nadia said...

Dot, you have some great new books there! I loved The Help, so I'm really looking forward to your post on it! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy the help! The other books look good as well :)

One More Page said...

Great books! I've got The Help on my bookshelf too - must read it soon. And I like the look of Down to Earth - I've got Could it be Magic to read by the same author.

Enjoy!

Kim said...

All you need is love is a really good book and I so enjoyed reading it.......hope you do too, Dot.

Dot said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments, it's great to hear so many good things about The Help as I wasn't 100% sure that I would like it!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...