27.1.09

The Secret Countess by Eva Ibbotson


The Secret Countess by Eva Ibbotson was initially published as A Countess Below Stairs, which after reading it I think would be a better title. Eva Ibbotson was born in Vienna, Austria in 1925 but when the Nazis came to power, her family escaped to Britain. Many of her books allude to the struggles and loss experienced by people during the war and obviously she had first-hand experience of this.
The Secret Countess is the story of Anna Grazinsky, a Russian Countess who has to flee to Britain after World War I. Anna has come from a life of wealth and privilege, she was doted on by her father and had everything that she could ever have wished for. Her father is killed fighting and she and her mother make their way to Britain with Miss Pinfold, her governess. Anna's family has lost everything and she is too proud to live off the charity of Miss Pinfold and so she seeks a position as a housemaid at Mersham; family seat of the Westerholmes. Here she tries to fit in and works hard but it is clear to all that she has come from greater things. Ibbotson describes Merhsam in a very detailed way and the house is very much part of the story. Anna soon meets Rupert, the new Earl and he is totally mesmerised by her. However, Rupert has agreed to marry Muriel Hardwicke, an orphaned heiress who will provide the finances to secure Mersham's future. Hardwicke is the opposite of Anna; she is a snob and totally obsessed with Eugenics and the staff and Westeholme family members do not take kindly to her ways.
Rupert eventually finds out Anna's true identity and he is already in love with her, the situation seems hopeless with his impending nuptials fast approaching. However, the others surrounding Anna and Rupert devise a plan to save the future of both of them and also the house. The story is very reminiscent of Jane Eye except that Rupert has a much more affable character than Mr Rochester! I am so pleased that I have discovered Eva Ibbotson, her books have this fantastic romantic, fairytale quality to them but still have a lot of substance.

2 comments:

patty said...

I have just discovered Eva Ibbotson and am delighted that others find this book so enchanting. I actually listened to this book narrated by Davina Porter (which I highly recommend as she is the best narrator in my estimation) but loved it so much that I purchased it for my Kindle. What I love about this book is the understatement of the love story. No great overt passion but a gripping passion nonetheless. When Rupert and Anna complete each others sentences and then just enjoy the moment in silent wonder that struck me as a powerful love. I wish the book was longer. The humorous parts were equally entertaining - even the self-absorbed Dr. Lightbody had me chuckling at his pompous thoughts. I hope more people discover this book so that it can be made into a movie...

Dot said...

Patty- It's so good isn't it, you should try her other books, they are just as enjoyable. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...