11.12.08

Have you ever lied about reading a book?


The BBC homepage has an interesting article today explaining how many people lie about the books that they have read. I don't think that I have ever done this; if I haven't read a book then I will just say, I think that I would be too worried that someone would start asking questions about it! This same poll said that most women thought that men should have read Shakespeare or Nelson Mandela's biography. Shakespeare I can understand as I am a BIG fan and undoubtedly Mandela's biography is a very important book but I would not be disappointed that a man I liked had not read it! I think that this is sometimes what puts people off reading; there can be a certain amount of snobbery! I am really lucky in that I have been able to study English Literature at degree level so have been introduced to many different authors and types of literature. However, I would never look down my nose on somebody who has never ready any Austen or Eliot. I think that people should read whatever they like, the important thing is that they enjoy what they read; it doesn't matter what others think!

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...